Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Space Portals forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Basic Discussion Forum Use: What is Karma... What is Flooding - Please Read 5 years 1 week ago #112

• Ian
  • Ian's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Some of yoou are new to the Discussion Forum Concept

Space Portals uses both the familiar Facebook like walls through an interface called JomSocial and an advanced discussion forum interface for Deep Discussion called Kunena, (which is swahili for "to speak". Kunena is not the same as the old web forums back in the day. In it you can embed youtube videos, tweets, ebay items, soundcloud files, and much more... and have a discussion about them. Unlike social media you are not constrained to a small container and a limited number of characters. If you like to write paragraphs you have plenty of space to do so in our forums.

The Karma System

The karma system is a fair way to appreciate a user for their good post and to smite them for a less than nice or nuisance post. If you notice the bar beside each post, you will see that there is a green plus and a red minus sign. For those who post good messages consider raising their Karma by clicking the plus... anything less you can demote them with the minus. This let's the users self moderate each other.

This is the best way to say that you agree with a post... or thank a user. It does not clutter our newstream and the higher the carma gets the more trusted the user will be on the site.

Topic Flooding

What is "Topic Flooding"? It is when one user posts a seriies of sequential replies in a short time on a forum topic. This is not welcome!!! Each forum post creates an entry on the front page of our site. To let people know where the discussion is. If someone floods the discussion forum with a bunch of single word or sentence statments that equate to "I agree" the whole front page of the system will be nothing but one user agreeing to something on the site that new people looking at our frount page will have no clue about. Not only does it discourage new users, valid activity stream entries are dropped from the system.

We do not want to remove the forums from the activity stream so those who flood our forum our use it improperly may be limited from this part of the site. The last thing we want to do is to limit ANYONE from accessing the site so please, if you are going to reply to a forum post make it a meaningful discussion... if you only want to agree please use the Karma system above.

If you have any Questions about this system, please feel free to ask them here. Unfortunately, as the system administrator I don't have a "karma" system so I can't earn points and goodies... but I will try to play fair in my interactions.

And as always if there is an OFFENSIVE post you can use the report to admin link in the lower corner of each message. Use this only in extreme cases of obscene or lewd posts, unrelated spam, and if someone is personally attacking another. Do not use this feature lightly.

I have hidden the IP address of this user. I hope this helps.

Ian
System Administrator
SpacePortals.net
Ian Starchild
System Administrator
Resident Medical BAMF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ian.

Basic Discussion Forum Use: What is Karma... What is Flooding - Please Read 1 year 11 months ago #901

Hi. I feel glad I found this post. Can we undo a karma if we accidentally click the wrong one? For example if we drop our device and it results in a "minus" click that we did not intend.

Basic Discussion Forum Use: What is Karma... What is Flooding - Please Read 1 year 11 months ago #903

As far as I know, yes you can undo one that is wrong. I've not tried it myself.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds